ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Whilst every subject is made up of facts, it is the real life stories that encapsulate those facts that make the difference between a dull, dry lecture and a fascinating sharing of knowledge. The stories associated with your subject can serve as examples of problem solving in action and can help your trainees remember the facts that they need to effectively master the subject.
In this 2 day workshop you will learn:
- why storytelling is such a powerful communication tool and how it can be used to connect positively with your participants.
- methods for recalling and systematically recording potentially useful stories.
- how to select and work on suitable stories from the commercial world to illustrate your subject.
- how to use stories to engage attention and effectively transmit information.
- how the elements of a story and the way it is structured can affect the story’s memorability and its potential to influence.
- strategies to weave stories into your training.
- the elements that make up an expressive speaking voice.
- practical exercises that can be used to improve vocal expression.
- effective strategies for preparing and telling stories.
There will be presentations and demonstrations and coaching by the workshop leader and individual, partner and group work by the participants. Participants will share and refine their stories through guided storytelling activities in a supportive coaching environment.
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Sheila Wee is a Singaporean professional storyteller, storytelling trainer and story consultant. Because of her work to pioneer the movement to revive the use of storytelling in Singapore, she has been described as a Godmother of Singapore storytelling. She co-founded Singapore’s first professional storytelling company and has taught, or mentored almost all of the storytellers now working in Singapore.
Sheila teaches storytelling skills and conducts training in the use of storytelling as an organisational tool across many different sectors. Sheila’s highly practical workshops have garnered consistently high ratings from participants. Her workshop clients include, ST Electronics (Centre for Management Development) Singapore Management University (Faculty), Ministry of Education, National Parks Board, Singapore Press Holdings, Integrative (CSR) Consulting, Sentosa Development Corporation, Resorts World Sentosa, Kadence, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School, Globoforce, WDHB and Molex Singapore.
Sheila also works internationally, and has conducted workshops in Australia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and the UK.
Having spent the last 16 years immersed in story, Sheila understands both its emotional pull and its practical application. She is passionate about bringing story out of the nursery and restoring it to its rightful place at the heart of adult society. She has worked with military commanders, educational leaders, sales teams, and executives at all levels developing customised training programmes to meet their organisational objectives.
Dates/Times: Wednesday 8 and Thursday 9 June 2016. (9am to 5pm on each day)
Venue: The Seminar Room, Heritage Place, 21 Tan Quee Lan St, #02-08, Singapore, 188108. http://www.seminarroom.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/map-01.jpg
(Inclusive of comprehensive handouts and tea break refreshments).